Each year, the Gender Studies Department at CEU accepts a number of visiting scholars to be in residence for a semester or a full academic year. The program gives scholars working on gender-related projects the opportunity to work in a lively community of gender scholars, institutional support, and the opportunity to reside in Vienna, a beautiful European capital city. The CEU Gender Studies Department provides formal university affiliation which includes access to CEU library facilities, a campus mailing address, a CEU email account, computer and internet access, shared office space, the opportunity to participate in departmental events, and an invitation to present work-in-progress. The department requests that in return, scholars in residence participate in departmental activities and acknowledge the department's support in any publications that result from this research period.
Central European University does not offer stipends or other financial support for scholars participating in this program. This program is especially suitable for scholars with outside grant support or sabbatical support from their home institutions.
The selection of visiting scholars is competitive and takes place twice a year. Those interested in being considered for this program should consult the application guidelines below. While we will consider people without a Ph.D. who are leaders in their field, doctoral candidates from other universities should consult the Doctoral Support Program under non-degree programs on this website for guidelines on how to visit the department.
Specific questions concerning the Visiting Scholars in Residence Program for the Department of Gender Studies may be addressed to the faculty member currently in charge of organizing this program, Éva Fodor at email@example.com.
Application Guidelines for Visiting Scholars in Residence
Applications will be considered on the rolling basis (October – May) for the current and the following academic year. The decision is to be expected within 2 months.
Your application should include:
- A two page letter of intent that describes your research project and the suitability of your affiliation with the Department of Gender Studies at CEU. Project descriptions should include the objectives of the research, its significance, a timeline and the resources required to carry it out. The letter should also include a description of your anticipated funding support while at CEU.
- An annotated curriculum vitae (5 pages maximum) that includes current institutional affiliation (if any), publications, education, and names of references.
- A copy of a publication or writing sample relating to gender (no more than 30 pp.).
- One letter of recommendation.
- One copy of your application via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate clearly in the subject that it is for the Visiting Scholars Program)
- or one copy via post:
- Department of Gender Studies
- Visiting Scholars in Residence Program Central European University
- Quellenstrasse 51
- Wien 1100