The PhD in Comparative Gender Studies provides four years of full funding for admitted students. Time to completion can be extended up to 5 or 6 years for students who undertake field research or teaching and are able to secure additional funding.
Successful applicants must show substantial background in gender studies scholarship and have a research proposal that can be developed and defended within the first year of study. Applicants without an MA in gender studies or demonstrable background in the discipline are encouraged to first consider attending one of our MA programs before applying for the PhD.
The department welcomes research projects in various fields of gender studies and will consider the department's supervisory availability and matches during the admission process. For more on faculty interests, see here. Please note that applicants are not required to secure an agreement with a faculty member for supervision; first-year students request a supervisor after having the chance to meet and work with faculty for two months at the beginning of the program.
The deadline for Ph.D. student positions with the CEU Doctoral Scholarship is February 1, 2024 (23:59 Central European Time). However, please do check with the CEU admission webpage for the latest update on the deadline and more details.
Learn more about the PhD program of the Department of Gender Studies!
- MA in Gender Studies or related discipline in the humanities or social sciences
- All applications must be complete with relevant standard test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
- PhD proposal up to 1000 words
- 3 recommendation letters
- Relevant transcripts and diploma(s)
- Applicants selected for an interview will be invited to send a writing sample (published or unpublished) of at least 3500 words written in, or translated to, English