Heather is currently a PhD Student in Gender Comparative Studies, with a focus in Social and Cultural Anthropology. She began her PhD at CEU following her MA in Gender and Development from the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) at the University of Sussex, Brighton, with academic honors. She most recently completed 8 months of ethnographic research in Accra, Ghana, while also working as a visiting researcher at the Centre for Popular Education and Human Rights, Ghana, and the Human Rights Advocacy Centre, both based in Accra.
Heather's current academic interests include:
"Sexual" or Erotic Practices, Intimacy, Masculinities, Identity, Digital Cultures, Globalization, NGOization, Biopolitics, Intersectionality Theory, Post colonial/De Colonial Theory, Queer and Feminist Ethnographic Methods, Whiteness in Development
• (2018) "A Man With Boundaries: Female Masculinities, Technology and Counter publics in Urban Accra" in Gender and Sexuality in Africa Handbook, Routledge: Abingdon (forthcoming)
• (2017)"Why Should There Be Spaces for Queer Women, Led By Queer Women?" Bliss Blog of ISS on Global Development and Social Justice. 2017. International Institute of Social Sciences: The Hague, Netherlands
• (2016) Neoliberalism and Regimes of Life and Death: A Book Review of Queer Necropolitics edited by Jin Haritaworn, Adi Kunstman and Silvia Posocco. Graduate Journal of Social Sciences. 12: 1 (Pp. 130-136) https://www.academia.edu/22438867/Neoliberalism_and_regimes_of_Life_and_...
• (2015) (Co-author and Reviewer) LGBT Rights: A Handbook for Advocacy and Empowerment: 2015. Human Rights Advocacy Centre: Accra, Ghana http://www.hracghana.org/images/PDF/HRAC_LGBT_Handbook_2015%20Edition.pdf
• (2015) (Co-contributor) Graham, M. et al. Anthropologists are Talking About Queer Anthropology. Ethnos. 2015 (p. 1-14). Taylor and Francis https://www.academia.edu/19802864/Anthropologists_are_talking_about_quee...
• (2013) Queer Necropolitics and Embodiment in Africa: Thinking Through the Euro-Center. Ethnographies of Gender and the Body. LOVA Journal. 2013, 35. LOVA Network: The Netherlands Society for Gender Studies and Feminist Anthropology
• (2012) Director and Producer, “Out of the Box”, A Refugee Law Project Film, http://youtu.be/V3C4z8M8998
• (2012) Director and Producer, “Narratives of Change”, A Men Mobilizing Men Programme and Refugee Law Project Film, http://youtu.be/DbAr4gTa1kE