Thesis Writing Workshop Group 3, 4 (2017/18)
Mandatory for all graduating MA students. For 1-year MA students and GEMMA, Matilda defending in September. Takes place: May 7-11. Details TBA)
The main aim of the workshop is to help you in the process of writing your MA thesis. Each student presents a (draft) chapter, together with a (draft) table of contents (ToC), which will help clarify the function of that chapter in the thesis.
This is a writing workshop. This means that the whole group reads all the chapters and that everybody gives feedback during the sessions. In this way, you can contribute to the work of your peers and receive helpful questions and suggestions to clarify your own chapter. Also, attentive reading of your colleagues’ chapters will be useful because of their interesting topics and because a close reading of other people’s work-in-progress will clarify writing issues for yourself, for example how to structure a chapter, how to use evidence, and how to construct an argument.
* The workshop should first of all help you make a significant step in the thesis writing process by giving you a deadline for the submission of an important chapter of your thesis.
* The workshop will train you in how to make a clear presentation of your own research.
* The workshop will train you in providing constructive feedback to the academic work of your peers.
* After the Workshop you should also have a clearer idea of what the particular, original contribution of your research is, what the main argument of the chapter in question is, and how it contributes to the argument of the thesis as a whole.
* Preparation and presentation of a (draft) thesis chapter and the table of contents
* Careful reading of your peers’ chapters, preparing and providing feedback on their work.